Scout.com is reporting that Keith Appling committed to Michigan State ($) in a meeting with the MSU coaches this morning. (Note: I’m not a Scout, or Rivals, subscriber.) Appling is Izzo’s first verbal commitment for the class of 2010.
What I know about Appling:
- Somewhere between 6’1″ and 6’3″, 170/175 pounds.
- Rated a 4-star recruit by both Scout and Rivals.
- Apparently a combo guard–more of a slasher now, but projects as a point guard.
- Teammate of 2009 MSU commit Derrick Nix at Pershing High School in Detroit.
- Third-team all-state as a sophomore.
- Detroit News article on Appling by Sam Webb from June.
I’ve updated the Projected Roster page, counting Appling as a point guard. He’ll come in as a freshman during the senior year for Lucas/Allen/Summers (2010-11) and could potentially team with Korie Lucious as starters in the backcourt the following year.
In terms of the overall recruiting situation, Izzo can add two more players to the 2009 class. If he fills both spots, though, that leaves only one more spot after Appling for 2010 (and none if Dahlman were to redshirt this year, which I haven’t seen anything on since March). Seems like Izzo needs a pure wing player in one of those two years to backfill for Allen/Summers.
Anyway, goods news for Spartan fans on a Friday afternoon.
Update: The Detroit News’ Eric Lacy has some more information: Tennessee, Michigan, Oklahoma, Xavier, Cincinnati and Dayton were the other schools that had made offers. Player quote:
“Coach Izzo was jumping up and down, shaking everyone’s hands,” Appling said. “He was ecstatic. “He said they like my ability to not only score the ball, but give it to my teammates.”